My fabric of choice will be red gabardine (mmm red gabardine…) and the image I have in my head is decidedly nautical, maybe helped along by these inspiration pictures?
By Burda member Fletcher and Fenn. Love the nautical detailing.
From Elle. They're a tad long but I love the fit at the waist
Vintage look Swing Trousers from Vivien of Holloway
I thought I'd lay out the pros and cons of each pattern in the hope that it will help me decide. Here goes…
1. Tons of fabulous inspiration is out there in the blogosphere: Lauren's fitted denim pair, Andrea's chic grey pair sans pockets, Scruffy Badger's gorgeous dogtooth pair, I could go on...
2. A fabulous, extremely helpful, step-by-step sewalong by none other than Lauren Lladybird already exists.
1. I already own a pair of black Banana Republic trousers that could be a Thurlow twin separated at birth.
2. I never wear them, even though they fit me like a glove, maybe there's a reason for this?
3. I'm not that keen on boot cut trousers (see above).
1. The instructions look comprehensive, plus all the steps seem to be covered on various Coletterie tutorials if I get stuck.
2. Dixie DIY has made an awesome denim pair which look great, she gave the pattern a positive review too, which is encouraging.
3. Fab high fitted waist and vintage cut.
4. Would be a great match for lots of my vintage style blouses and wedge shoes.
1. Hardly anybody has made them so there are very few versions out there to drool over (apart from Dixie's!)
2. The ginormous width of the legs….can leg width be reduced?
3. If the leg width can't be reduced, then they may just be too wide for my small frame and lack of height (although that's what wedges were invented for surely?)
Actually, having just put this all down in writing, I think I'm swaying slightly more in favour of one pattern rather than the other, can you guess which one?! I'd love to know if you have an opinion on this important trouser issue. Don't be shy, if you think one style is a total non-starter, I need to know! I'll let you know what I decide next week. In the meantime, have a great weekend. x