Apart from trimming a hem, I've never used lace in my sewing before so I needed to think long and hard about how to use it. As I'm not a particular lover of frills and flounces, my version was always going to be a bit reserved. I initially wanted to used the lace around the neck, but visions of Lord Percy from Blackadder kept popping into my head.
If you're a Tudor Lord then you can clearly pull this look off, especially if you have a spare set of doublet and hose to hand. Sadly, it wasn't a look that was going to work for me. I also wanted the finished garment to fit in with the rest of my wardrobe and be something I'd want to wear. So I decided to use the lace as a border/edging on a collar.
I was inspired by this picture of a Modcloth dress that I'd pinned to my yellow board on Pinterest, and decided that I could use the Alma blouse pattern as the collar has quite a similar shape. To get the look I made a fake placket, using the method from the Colette Sorbetto pattern. But instead of just attaching the placket at the top and bottom as per the Sorbetto, I top stitched down each lace trimmed placket edge.
The final amount of lace is just right in my book: not too frilly but having enough peeking out to draw the eye. Attaching the lace to the collar edge was a little more involved, but still pretty straight forward. I took some pictures as I went along and I think I can remember how I did it...(!) so if anybody's interested in a tutorial, just shout and I'll make myself remember.
I loved being involved with this challenge, and challenge me it did! So often, I take the easy way out of a sewing project, but this time I had to fiddle around with a few techniques and ideas before I achieved what I wanted. There are so many inspirational pictures and projects I've collected on Pinterest, but up until now they've just been pretty pictures to look. With this blouse under my belt, I'm now more than tempted to try and bring a few more of them to life. Happy Sunday. x