This 1930's pattern (Simplicity 2844) was the very first vintage pattern I acquired and it’s only the second vintage pattern I’ve made. I won it on Debi’s giveaway and have been wittering on about sewing it for months - I kept being tempted away from the straight and narrow by all those pesky sewalongs. Now they’re all finished, I’ve finally got the time to sit down and concentrate on it - and what a pleasure it’s been…
The front cover doesn’t do the blouse justice.
It looks like a pretty plain piece of “sports casual” wear, but don’t be deceived by appearances, it has some delightful details which I discovered as I was sewing it. I made a muslin first and only had to make two changes: I extended the length of the tucks at the front to make it more fitted under the bust and took 1cm out of the back width.
|Here it is from the back|
The gathered shoulders and top stitched yoke were a doddle to sew after my swing dress
The one area where I wasn’t faithful to the pattern was with the buttonholes. If I was being a good seamstress, (instead of a lazy, slapdash one) I’d have made bound buttonholes to give it that perfect period touch. Buttonholes aren’t my favourite thing at the best of times, and bound ones look so time consuming that I guiltily just made normal ones. I finished the blouse with some vintage flower buttons from my stash.
The instructions were a delight – lovely clear steps accompanied by little illustrations.
They were much easier to understand than some modern day patterns, even with unprinted pattern pieces. Ah yes, unprinted pattern pieces…. when I first opened the pattern I thought, in my naivety, there had been a printing error i.e. they’d forgotten to print any writing on them. Duh, all the relevant circles, grainlines etc are punched onto the pieces and you then work out what’s what from the instructions. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t, it’s actually a very efficient way of printing a pattern.
Fabric-wise I used a beautiful double gauze I treated myself to before Christmas from this Japanese website. As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what I was going to make with it because the pattern looks so 1930’s. The print is actually little rabbits, but you can’t really make them out unless you’re close up.
Double gauze is a strange fabric. It’s basically two layers of gauze held together by a grid of tiny stitches. This particular double gauze is reversible, so the other side of the fabric looks like a negative, which I quite like. It’s a lovely texture, somewhere between brushed cotton and linen and the drape is nice and heavy.
|A perfect match with my 1940's trousers|
I really love this blouse, it’s the sort of thing I’d have jumped on if I’d seen it in a shop in the olden days (before I started sewing). I’m very tempted to make another one immediately just because it’s so me. I’m thinking of a greeny/blue voile with white buttons...