|Yippee, my very own handmade trousers|
|Looking unbearably smug|
Now, I know the sewalong is still going on and I'm steaming ahead again (Florence, if you're reading this, I think I qualify for your Impatient Seamstress Sewalong!) but, in my defence there are several reasons I finished so early. Firstly, I knew from the start I wouldn't be sewing the same pattern as everybody else, the pattern Sunni chose was Burda 127 which I wasn't keen on for two reasons a) it's a downloadable PDF and I'm rubbish at that type of thing b) the trousers are specifically for taller ladies (which was unintentional) but at 5' 2'' probably not the best pattern for me. So I chose this 1940's retro pattern from Simplicity (3688).
Other bloggers have said how straight forward it is to sew and they weren't wrong. It was a really simple pattern to sew together but I wouldn't have had such success with it on my own. If you're ever contemplating making trousers, then Sunni's (The Cupcake Goddess) tutorials are an absolute must. She goes through ever imaginable fitting issue in a totally clear and refreshing manner, always accompanied by lots of photographs of each step.
I made a muslin and realised I needed to decrease the front crotch curve (sorry, there's no other way of describing it!) as I didn't want bagging around that area and increase the back crotch curve to accommodate my backside. Look away now if you're eating your lunch.
|Not the greatest darts in the world but a perfectly fitted backside!|
They were the only changes I made, it was as simple as that. I think the classic cut of the pattern helps too: a slim fit around the waist and hips with wide legs, a very simple design. The other nugget I picked up from Sunni was a tip on sewing the crotch curves together: she advised us to put one leg inside the other which wasn't the way the pattern instructions said, but her method was far easier.
I made my trousers from a lovely navy gabardine I picked up in John Lewis. I've never sewn with gabardine before and it's officially my new favourite fabric. It's a dream to sew with - not too thick but with lots of drape, absolutely perfect for 1940's styles. I've teamed it up with a striped top for these photos as to be honest, there's not much else I have that will go with such a high waist.
|Whoa, that's a high waist|
using this fabric,
which I'm hoping will be a perfect match for them. Happy Monday everyone. x