I'm pretty proud of myself with this make. After two muslins (my maximum number I'll ever have the patience to make, I've now decided) the fit is nice and slim and the length is just right. Having arms about the same length as a T-Rex, being able to get the arm length spot on is very satisfying.
The pattern came from the Built By Wendy Coats and Jackets book and whilst the basic shape of the pattern is fine, I did have to make quite a few alterations to get it to fit me. I deliberately used a book, rather than a commercial pattern, as I wanted to try to learn as much as I could about jacket construction before attempting a commercial jacket pattern. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to absolute beginners though - even though there's a good amount of detail on making and adjusting your pattern, once you start constructing your jacket, the instructions are pretty sparse.
Although there are lots of jacket making skills I still need to learn, there are a fair few I can now tick off my list. I feel like I have at least a basic understanding of jackets, which will give me a bit more confidence when I venture down this path again, perhaps trying my hand at this elegant beauty….?
So, on to the jacket itself. The main fabric is a reasonably heavyweight wool I found by some miracle in my local charity shop. The buttons are plain, 1940's utility buttons from eBay and I lined it with a teal/duck egg satin lining. As documented here, I loathe and detest slippery lining fabric, but this one didn't behave too badly (it wouldn't dare, the look I gave it whilst I was cutting it out was terrifying).
I improvised with the collar as there wasn't a pattern for the shape I wanted - the result isn't bad, just a bit bulky under the top edge.
I made my own facings and after a few false starts, managed to create a successful three way party between jacket, facing and lining. Hoorah.
|Behold my beautiful lining|
Despite my surliness towards the lining, I loved the feeling of first trying on the jacket and sliding my arms in. It felt so luxurious and professional, I just had to repeat it a few times (make that 20).
The bottom edge of the lining fabric was very prone to fraying, so I attached it to the main jacket with bias tape.
I did the same thing with the sleeve lining too.
Because the fabric was such a bargain (£3 for three yards of the grey wool and £1 a metre for the lining in a closing down sale), I did initially view the whole project as a practice, but once the lining was in, I realised that this was a jacket I could easily wear out and about. And being grey with a light blue lining, it will go with most of my handmade clothes. A pretty good result for five pounds I think. Have a lovely weekend. x