If you’ve been riddled with curiosity wondering what became of my leftover fabric from my 1930’s blouse, I can now put you out of your misery. I bought two metres of fabric, and as I’m relatively petite, there was just enough left to cut out my mystery item …. a 1960’s A-line skirt from this pattern.
I took a chance and didn’t make a muslin, I figured if it all went horribly wrong then this could be the muslin. After I sewed it up, I tried it on and had that rare, beautiful dressmaking moment - it was an exact, perfect fit. The only tiny adjustment I made was to take in half an inch at the widest part of the hips when I was sewing the side seams up and that’s it. In my experience, skirts are a lot easier than bodices to fit, but this was nothing short of miraculous.
|A pretty good fit|
I underlined it with very thin off-white cotton (also from Ditto for £1.50 a metre). There wasn’t enough fabric for a waistband, so I drafted a facing from a piece of co-ordinating cotton. This sounds technical but in fact it was super easy to do and I got the method from this book – Sew What! Skirts. As well as showing you how to draft your own skirt patterns based on your own body measurements, it’s full of really useful advice on all things skirt-related. This is where I learnt to draft my own waistband for my Japanese pattern book skirt and that was a doddle too. I can’t recommend it highly enough. I liked the look of the facing so much I made some bias binding for the inside hem. Yes, nobody will see it, but I know it’s there.
McCall’s 7978 is one of those patterns I’m sure I’ll use again and again. Reader Nathalie has a similar 1960’s skirt pattern and at the last count had made five versions! I'll definitely be following her example as it’s such an easy pattern to sew. There's more than enough time to embellish with secret hem bindings etc, without the whole project taking weeks on end. There’s also a fabulous, thrifty sense of satisfaction in using up leftover bits of fabric to create whole new garments. I’m now planning to make a plain red version with my leftover Swing Dress fabric and a grey floral version with my leftover Crepe dress fabric. If they’re as easy to sew as this little number, I can sew them up in time for Me-Made-June. Hoorah.